We now offer medical grade ear piercing by appointment only.
At this time we can only offer medical grade ear piercing to current patients. This service is not covered by insurance. The fee is $60 paid at time of service.
Why Blomdahl medical piercing?
ELIMINATES TRANSMISSION OF BLOOD-BORNE VIRUSES
Traditional ear piercing guns present a genuine health hazard. They can easily transmit blood-borne viruses. The danger is so real that most European countries have banned these instruments. Unfortunately, they are still legal and widely available in the USA. Our system uses single-use, disposable cassettes that eliminate the chance of transmission.
Nickel allergy and skin sensitivity
3-4% of the population is born with nickel sensitivity, and 20-25% of people with pieced ears develop some level of nickel allergy/sensitivity. Ear piercing and earrings can cause this condition. The Blomdahl system eliminates this risk by using medical grade ear piercing studs. We also carry a complete line of hypoallergenic earrings.
Medical Grade Titanium is the safest of all metals because it binds what little nickel there is extremely well. In other words, little or no nickel is released into the skin and underlying tissue. Titanium is accepted extremely well by the body and is therefore used more and more in implants and other medical applications, often replacing stainless (surgical) steel.
SAFE MEDICAL GRADE PLASTIC EARRINGS
Medical Plastic contains no nickel which ensures zero nickel exposure. This eliminates the risk of developing nickel allergy. Medical Plastic is recommended for anyone who wants to avoid developing nickel allergy or for anyone that already has a nickel sensitivity.
How do I take care of my newly pierced ears?
An ear piercing is in fact a small wound. It is important to take proper care of it throughout the healing period (approx. 6–12 weeks), in order to avoid it getting infected. By following the aftercare instructions, you can minimize the risk of infection. In the written aftercare instructions you are advised to clean the hole thoroughly twice a day, using soap and water or Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs, which are gentle on the skin and easy to use. Watch our video on how to clean a newly pierced ear.
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF THE PIERCED EARS AFTERWARDS?
- Never touch your ears with unclean hands.
- Wash your newly pierced ears (on both sides) thoroughly twice a day. Do not remove the earrings when cleansing.
- When showering/washing your hair, use liquid soap and rinse thoroughly with clean running water. Dry with a Kleenex or Q-tip.
- Supplementary cleansing is done with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs, which are gentle on the skin. The swabs make it possible to clean between your ears and the earrings/earring backs. Allow to air dry. Use a new cleansing swab for each ear, each time. Do not clean with alcohol.
- Make sure that the area around the holes are kept clean, dry and airy at all times.
- Cover your ears when applying make up, hair spray, spray perfume, hair-dye, etc.
- Take extra care when you are putting on/pulling off clothing over your head, in order to prevent the earrings from getting caught.
Unlike conventional ear piercings, there is no need to rotate the Blomdahl medicalgrade plastic studs to prevent them from adhering to the skin.
IS SWIMMING OK IMMEDIATELY AFTER EAR PIERCING?
We recommend avoiding swimming as long as possible after piercing. Chlorine from pools and bacteria in unchlorinated waters may irritate or contaminate the wound and delay healing.
Why should I avoid rotating/twist the piercing earring?
A common misconception is that, if you do not rotate the piercing earring, the skin will get stuck to it. This is not true. What is true is that rotating the piercing earring without first having cleaned your ear, earring and hands thoroughly, can infect the ear piercing.
How do I remove the piercing earring?
Watch our video or follow the instructions below: To remove the piercing earring: Wash hands and ears thoroughly. A good time to remove the piercing earring is right after a shower/hair wash. With one hand, take hold of the jewelry part (front) of the piercing earring. With the other hand, take hold of the earring back and wiggle it back and forth, until you feel it loosens. Carefully remove the piercing earring and insert a clean earring. Piercing earrings are only intended to be used during the healing period.
When can I remove the piercing earring?
If you have had an earlobe pierced, you can remove and replace the piercing earring after 6 weeks, at the earliest. It takes longer for a hole in the cartilage to heal, so if you have had your cartilage pierced, we recommend that you leave the piercing earring for at least 12 weeks.
What should I bear in mind after having replaced the piercing earrings with normal earrings?
It takes up to a year before the holes are completely healed. Hence consider the following:
- Always wear earrings. If you go without, the holes can shrink and/or close completely.
- Take extra care when changing earrings. The skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear, which may cause an infection. Therefore, always make sure to wash your earrings and your hands before the change, and make sure that the area around the holes is kept clean, dry and airy. If you use earrings with earring backs, these should not be pressed tightly against the back of the ear.
- The risk for developing a contact allergy is at its greatest during the first year. This is why it is extra important to wear safe earrings during this time. In consultation with skin specialists, Blomdahl has developed skin friendly jewelry suitable for everybody and especially for those who have just pierced their ears.